Presentation College is an independent Catholic educational institution, sponsored by the Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (PBVM). It has origins in Mitchell, South Dakota, in 1922 when the Right Reverend Monsignor J.M. Brady, Pastor of Holy Family Church, established Notre Dame Junior College, a parochial junior college. Notre Dame Junior College continued to operate in Mitchell until 1951, when Monsignor Brady gave sponsorship of the school to the Presentation Sisters who had staffed Notre Dame Junior College since its beginning.
The name was changed to Presentation Junior College and it was relocated to Aberdeen, South Dakota. For three years (1951 – 1954) it was housed in Butler Hall on the same location of the Presentation Convent of that time. Upon completion of the new convent and college of the Presentation Sisters it was moved to the 100-acre property located in North Aberdeen. The property was also known as Presentation Heights. Its primary function continued to be the education of sister-students and young women who aspired to teaching. In 1962 the Presentation School of Nursing affiliated with Presentation Junior College and in 1965 the title was officially changed to “Presentation College” and became co-educational in 1968.
Today the Presentation Sisters continue to play an active role the lives of the students and sponsor the college.